Family Paths, Inc.
Family Paths strengthens family relationships by providing mental health and supportive services with respect, integrity, compassion, and hope since 1972. Originally we were founded as Parental Stress Service, a 24-Hour Parent Support Hotline. Today, as Family Paths we continue to offer free and anonymous hotline counseling and referrals to over 900 community resources. Our hotline is also the portal to an array of therapeutic and supportive services in our Oakland and Hayward offices.
Impact & Accolades
• Provided $160,000 in Pro-Bono services FY 2015-2016
• 93% of adults surveyed said they "were doing better at handling daily life" as a result of our programs.
• 85% of youth surveyed said they have learned "new ways to calm down when they get upset" as a result of our programs.
• Completed our first public awareness campaign in May 2016 with bus shelter ads in English and Spanish in low-income communities in South County through funding from the
Kaiser Permanente Northern California Community Benefits Program.
• Awarded the Parent's Press Gold Award for Best Mental Health Services, 2016
"Being in therapy allowed me to have a safe space, where I can begin to unravel the thread of old trauma, old beliefs, family dynamics and so much more. I have developed healthy coping skills to replace the unhealthy ones that had been passed down from my parents. It has been a long, difficult process to healing…I am relieved that (my therapist) did not give up on me, even when I was at points of giving up on my own self…Therapy coupled with yoga mindfulness techniques has enabled me to use the skills to live a much more present and aware lifestyle…Deep breathing and incorporating all techniques into my job of parenting has helped me to not repeat a pattern of abuse that has plagued my parents and kept them in a cycle"